Tuesday, July 21, 2009

GOLD + WATER = AuH2O

Sometime last summer, I was strolling over on New York's East village near NYU on E 7th street and I came across this tiny boutique that looked like a vintage thrift shop. I think what really caught my eye was the jewelry showcased at the cash wrap. The boutique was so small that only me and a friend could comfortably shop with out saying excuse me every second with the sales clerk safely behind the counter. But don't get me wrong the place is very quaint, cozy with positive vibrations. The sales clerk greeted me warmly with a hello and offered answers to any questions....

Kate Goldwater (middle), designer/owner of AuH2O

Surprisingly though, I have to say it's a small world because as I discovered that the clothes on the racks where all recycled, redesigned, re inventive pieces sewn by the owner, Kate Goldwater which happened to be the sales clerk, I also discovered that Kate Goldwater is from MY HOMETOWN - MILWAUKEE, WI!!!! - "Get outta here...where did you graduate from high school?"... Serendipitously, we continued talking for sometime about what brought us out to New York, our goals and our upcoming trips back to our hometowns that summer. I never even knew of Kate while growing up in Milwaukee and now here I was standing in a boutique she owned at the age of 24. Can we say, "Yes We Can"??!!...

She calls herself an eco-friendly, feminist fashion designer and graduated from New York University for "Art and Clothing for Social Justice", a major she design herself incorporating her passion for feminism, activism and the environment with sewing clothes, an outlet to create art that expressed her political beliefs. And of course, I told her my story of how I was excepted to the Tisch School of the Arts for acting/theatre at NYU but never went....yeah, yeah - it's a long story but, I was proud to be from Mil-town and excited to have stumbled upon this treasure.








Kate's eco-friendly and social conscience store is called AuH2O Recycled Clothing Creations located NOW at 84 East 7th Street. Since we met she has moved from the tiny place I met her to a space next door twice the space!!! CONGRATS, Kate!!! Not only does she carry her own one-of-a-kind pieces but she carries other designers, consignment jewelry, vintage clothes, belts, handbags and shoes. Everything is so affordable with prices ranging between $7 (earrings) - $50 (one-of-a-kind dress)!! Check out the recycled couture piece above made out of MetroCards....I think Gary Harvey would be proud!! ;-)

in LOVE,
Lady Yvette

P.S. Tonite Kate is a featured artist in TRASHION, a new exhibit brought to by the Urban Green Initiative @ Gallery 151, 350 Bowery Street btw E3rd and E 4th street. Click here for more information. And check out her blog for updates on what new with AuH2O!! Check...check...check it out!! ;-)

1 comment:

  1. thanks for this post lady! and you know i'm jealous you're going home to the ill-mil this weekend- have fun!

    ReplyDelete